Americans Take Five of Six Podium Spots
July 10, 2010 (Minneapolis, MN) – USA Triathlon National Team members and Olympians Sarah Haskins and Matt Reed repeated Saturday as champions at the Life Time Fitness Triathlon. Both Haskins and Reed claimed a first-place prize of $20,000.
On the women’s side, Haskins (Colorado Springs, Colo.) covered the course in 2 hours, 3 minutes, 49 seconds to win by nearly two minutes. Rebeccah Wassner (New Paltz, N.Y.) was second in 2:05:41, and Mary Beth Ellis (Boulder, Colo.) gave the Americans a clean sweep of the podium in 2:07:36. Haskins exited the water a minute behind Sara McLarty (Clermont, Fla.), but had the top splits on the bike and run to earn the victory. She closed with a 36:39 10k run.
In men’s action, Reed (Boulder, Colo.) edged fellow national team member Matt Chrabot (Colorado Springs, Colo.) with a time of 1:48:34. Just eight seconds off Reed’s pace, Chrabot was second in 1:48:42, and Australia’s Craig Alexander took third in 1:49:45. Cameron Dye (Boulder, Colo.) had the day’s quickest swim and bike splits and finished sixth.
Ellis and Reed currently lead the 2010 Life Time Fitness Triathlon Series Race to the Toyota Cup standings with 14,000 and 17,000 points, respectively, after two events.
After the race, Reed traveled back home to Boulder and plans to compete in the Boulder Peak Triathlon on Sunday.
1. Sarah Haskins (Colorado Springs, Colo.), 2:03:49, Prize: $20,000
2. Rebeccah Wassner (New Paltz, N.Y.), 2:05:41, Prize: $8,000
3. Mary Beth Ellis (Boulder, Colo.), 2:07:36, Prize: $6,000
1. Matt Reed (Boulder, Colo.), 1:48:34, Prize: $20,000
2. Matt Chrabot (Colorado Springs, Colo.), 1:48:42, Prize: $8,000
3. Craig Alexander (Australia), 1:49:45, Prize: $6,000